Anghiari is an ancient walled town that dominates the entire Valtiberina.
The original nucleus of the town dates back to the 11th century when the Camaldolesi monks, who were greatly responsible for its economic and artistic development, helped to give the place its form.
The powerful monastery of
S.Bartolomeo, which was later transformed by the Perugians into a defensive structure, and the Christian
Chiesa della Badia were the first buildings in Anghiari. The surrounding wall remains almost intact, just as it was when built between the 12th and 13th centuries and the town can be entered by three gateways,
Sant Angelo, San Martino and Fiorentina. Incorporated in the wall are some characteristic elements of the town, the apse of the
Chiesa di Sant'Agostino and the Bastione del Vicario.
Piazza Mameli (formerly known as "L'antica piazza del Borghetto") in the heart of the town, contains the two main museums which are testimony to the artistic history of Anghiari:
Palazzo del Marzocco and Palazzo Taglieschi.
The town centre was expanded in the 14th century when the noble Tarlati family commissioned the long road that leads to Sansepolcro and the loggia with fountains which can be found below Piazza Baldaccio (formerly Piazza del Mercatale), which as also been enlarged.
Outside the walls of the town, passing through the
Galleria Girolamo Magi it is worth visiting the 18th century collection of buildings of the
Palazzo Corsi, commissioned by Benedetto Corsi between 1777 and 1794. These include the Palace itself, which today houses the Biblioteca and Archivio Comunale, the
Cappella votiva and the Theatre.